Monday, May 13, 2013

Only I can tell my story...

Sarah Polley, commenting on her documentary, "Stories We Tell" said, 'That's part of who we are as human beings.  We tell stories as well as we can but generally kind of sloppily even when we're trying our hardest."
As a writer of non-fiction, I am always trying hard to recall the scene, see the players, 'listen' for dialog, feel the sensations of the moment, and still I fall short.  We sometimes recall truth in  a way that the very people in our stories have no idea what we are talking about or did not 'see it that way'. In the end it's our story to tell, we must be brave warriors and solider on, ignoring those editors who tap us on the shoulder as we write.

Keep writing, my friends, remember that perfect paragraph you wrote this morning - you only get so long to admire it - go for the next one.

Later~~

No comments:

Post a Comment