Friday, July 19, 2024

Warm Off the Vine

 My brother-in-law, John S. Davies, noted actor, director, writer and gardener, is married to my sister, Lou, actor and broadcast journalist coach. Lou is John's assistant in the garden, but mostly, during harvests.  And what a bounty comes into this house: greens for salads, for cooking, that go into her delicious soups; we enjoy fresh garlic, fresh onions, carrots--herbs that include rosemary, dill, basil. And best of all: tomatoes! especially when they are freshly picked, brought into the kitchen, rinsed off to drain and if you're lucky, you can get to them when still warm off the vine.  

Brings back the memory when I was a young girl helping my grandmother plant tomatoes. Holding the small plants in my hand while I followed her  into the newly tilled earth of the garden, that had been prepared by my grandfather, I was very careful to have one ready as she used her tool to dig a single hole. The hand made tool was made of wood shaped like a T. The longer piece with a pointed end at about 2 1/2 inches in diamater was the digging tool, just about 20" tall, and the cross piece was the handle that she grasped and drove the tool into the soil. I moved in closer and handed her one of the small plants. She arranged the roots; using the watering can, poured some water, just enough  to cover the roots, then as I held the plant straight she filled the hole with dirt, pressing around the plant with her fingers, making sure the plant was standing at attention, straight as a soldier.  

Then after some months, it was time to "pick tomatoes." I lived with my gtandparents for a time, so I was always available for the next adventure. I would work in the garden for a while and soon I would come upon a perfectly round, red tomato.  An outdoor pump was adjacent to the garden--I would sit on the cement plantform, wipe the tomato off with whatever was around, hold the beauty in both hands and take my first bite. I have so many wonderful childhood memories--and those moments sitting on the pump plantform, tasting the warm sweetness, slowly finishing it; holding it away from me, to keep the drippings away from my clothes, were part of the 'Happy Days of Childhood" that live with us--we keep them close to our hearts always. 

1 comment: